SSPTV News Daily Headlines
Here are today’s headlines from SSPTV News and the Hazleton Standard-Speaker
1. The search for Shawn Christy continues.The latest reports indicate that a person believed to be Christy allegedly broke into a home in Kentucky. Authorities say that food was taken and a Jeep Cherokee. The home belonged to Dakota Meyer, the former son-in-law of Sarah Palin. As you may remember, Christy served probation for threatening Palin. The 27-year-old from McAdoo is wanted this time for making threats against President Donald Trump and other officials. He is considered armed and dangerous and should not be approached. A 15-thousand dollar reward is being offered for information leading to his arrest. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.
2. If you love classic cars or new cars, downtown Hazleton is the place to be. The 2018 Downtown Hazleton Car Cruise-In kicks off at 6pm tonight. There will be free parking at both the meters and the city lots, including the parking garage. A traffic reminder that Broad Street will be closed between Church and Cedar Streets. Several First Friday events from last week have also been rescheduled for tonight. They include the Wyoming Street Fusion Food Festival and the outdoor movies in Center City Park. Plus, the artwork from last weekend’s Peace, Love and Chalk will also be on exhibit! It’s all happening tonight in downtown Hazleton!
3. Also happening tonight and tomorrow is the Delano Fire Company Number One Block Party! The food and bar are open until 11:30pm tonight and then from 1pm until 11pm tomorrow. Don’t miss the fire truck and apparatus parade tonight at 6:30pm and the second annual bike run tomorrow at 11am. Registration starts at 9am. Check out the Tricky Trays, games, bake sale, bounce house and more! Plus, “Toolshed Jack” takes the stage tonight at the block party and it’s “After Dark” playing all your favorites tomorrow night. That’s the Delano Fire Company Block Party tonight and tomorrow.
4. A popular event hits the streets of Hazleton tomorrow… It’s the 35th Annual CHHIPS Trot-N-Brew in memory of Rocco Colangelo. CHHIPS stands for the Committee to Help Handicapped Infants and Parents Succeed. The one and a half mile novelty race starts at 11am with registration at 9:30am at the west corner of Poplar Street and Berner Avenue in Hazleton. Come on out for a great time and help raise money for a great cause!
5. Have you entered the Standard Speaker and the Laurel Mall’s “Back to School Giveaway”? Now thru August 20th, watch for the school bus ad in the Standard Speaker and the advertiser listed under it. Collect five advertiser names and mail your entry to the Standard-Speaker. You could win a mall gift certificate. Get all the details in the Standard Speaker.
And be sure to drop off some much needed items in the “Back to School” bus located in center court at the Laurel Mall. It’s part of the school supply drive now thru August 20th!
You can check out SSPTV News on Service Electric Cablevision Ch. 13 and HD 513 and download our free SSPTV Mobile APP by searching “ssptv” in your Play or Apple Store